After a life of high anxiety and over-thinking things, I had to relearn how to be in my body and ground. Grounding my energy has helped me in every way: It has helped me listen to my heart, calm my brain, and finish tasks—even get rid of the hiccups :-).
There were many ways I get grounded but here are my top five:
- Chi-kung. Doing chi-kung caused the energy which was swirling chaotically around and through me to move coherently through me. I noticed improvements in digestion and spinal alignment and more.
- I stopping praying to that source out there—God the Universe, Spirit, and started listening it instead. The energy no longer left my body and it allowed me to truly go inwardly like they talk about in most spiritual paths. I learned about this from Jen Ward that traveling out of our bodies wasn’t necessary to pray or to have a spiritual experience. It’s about being expansive but not about leaving the physical body.
- Chanting deep sounds that reached my belly—“ohhh,” “ooohh,” “ahhhh”—while bending down when sounding out. Moving the voice in this way seemed to strengthen my bones and my vocal presence.
- Practicing “grounding.” Going out in my bare feet and walking on the sand or pavement after a rain. But my favorite way is to hold (hug) a tree. I can feel the energy move down the tree. I have stopped the hiccups with hugging a tree, and I’ve calmed down from crying after holding on to a tree. See more on communicating with trees here:
- African dance, where the weight of my feet is solid on the ground. If you don’t know how to do African dance, any kind of dance where you stomp or feel the weight of your feet on the ground is good. It’s interesting to me, that ballet is about getting off the feet and off the ground–standing on your toes and giving you less to balance on. It seems like it would take your power away if this wasn’t balanced with grounding.
There are other things that help when I have the time and energy, but these five things are my favorite ways. Have you found ways to de-stress, calm down, or come back into alignment? Please share below.