After a life of high anxiety and over-thinking things, I had to relearn how to be in my body and ground. Grounding my energy has helped me in every way: It has helped me listen to my heart, calm my brain, and finish tasks—even get rid of the hiccups :-).
There were many ways I get grounded but here are my top five:
1. Qi gong (Chi kung). Doing Qi gong caused the energy which was swirling chaotically around and through me to move coherently through me. I noticed improvements in digestion and spinal alignment and more.
2. I stopping praying to that source out there—God, the Universe, Spirit–and started listening to it instead. The energy no longer left my body and it allowed me to truly go inwardly like they talk about in most spiritual paths.*
3. Chanting deep sounds that reached my belly—“ohhh”, “ahhhh”—while bending down when sounding out. Moving the voice in this way seemed to strengthen my bones and my vocal presence.
4. Practicing “grounding.” Going out in my bare feet and walking on the sand or pavement after a rain. But my favorite way is to hold onto, or hug a tree. I have stopped the hiccups, calmed down from crying, even discovered solutions to difficult problems, after holding on to a tree.
5. African dance, where the weight of my feet is solid on the ground.
There are other things that help when I have the time and energy, but these five things are my favorite ways. Have you found ways to destress, calm down, or come back into alignment? Please share below.
*see jenuinehealing.com for more information on concepts like #2